Sunday, June 22, 2014

Am I in Spain or in Hey, Arnold?!

Bienvenidos de Salamanca!

Yesterday we traveled to Salamanca, which means I am now living with my host family. Prior to the trip, my professor had met most of the host parents, but he hadn't met mine. Because of this, I was incredibly nervous to meet my host family. But my host parents are an old couple that has lived in Salamanca all of their lives, and they live in a cute apartment in the old part of the city. They don't know any English, so communication can be difficult at times. But they're so cute and I imagine this is how they would dance:



As we were unpacking in our room, she came back with two 14-year old German boys who know almost no Spanish. When my host parents talk to them, they just stare at them and have no idea what they're saying. They kind of look like this:

And then right after that, two more girls came in. They're from San Antonio. They're nice and know a little more Spanish than my German amigos. But this apartment isn't necessarily big. There are four rooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and laundry room in one, and a small living area. It's not a lot of room for 7 people. At first, I was concerned, but then I realized something.

I AM LIVING A HEY ARNOLD FANTASY.

My host mother is Grandma Gertrude because she's lively and cooks the most amazing food. My host father is Grandpa Phil because he's goofy and likes to crack a joke. And the rest of us are boarders living the Hey Arnold lifestyle. This is a dream come true.


After I moved in, my roommates and I watched a John Wayne film with my host father that was dubbed in Spanish. I only partially understood what was going on, but the plot didn't seem too complicated. It kind of went like this: 


And when I thought this host family experience couldn't get any better, I went to the bathroom and found A FREAKING BIDET. 


I am so pumped to use it and most likely flood the bathroom.

Well that's enough excitement for the day. Classes start tomorrow and I can't wait.

Adios for now, amigos.




No comments:

Post a Comment