Monday, July 7, 2014

Weather, weekends, and wonderment.

So you know how people are like "Only in Ohio/Pennsylvania can the weather change so drastically in one day."

Well, that's a bold faced lie.

Cause it happens in Salamanca, too. The weather bounces from cold and rainy and hot every day.

When we had our meetings for this trip, our professor told us, "oh you won't have to wear anything warm, so don't bother to pack warm clothes." But to be on the safe side, I packed one pair of long pants and a long-sleeved cardigan. He was wrong.

But it was 60 degrees all last week in Salamanca and in Santiago.

And my cardigan was out of commission due to my tendency to spill food all over me like this:


I was so miserably cold that I had to spend money to buy warm clothes so I wouldn't get a cold (but I did get a cold). I was walking around the city like a sad Jon Snow, only with rain instead of snow.


But this week it's supposed to be warmer, so (hopefully) I will be able to do some fun outdoor things this week. 



So now that I've exceeded my complaint quota for this blogpost, I'm going to talk about my weekend trip to Santiago de Compostela. Santiago is a city in Galicia, which is the northwestern province of Spain. In the city, there is a cathedral that holds the remains of the apostle James, which is on of the first disciples to follow Jesus. It is actually the end of a pilgrimage route, in which people fallow the Camino de Santiago until they reached the cathedral. It's a very sacred place in Spain. 

We (obviously) didn't walk there. Instead we took a very long, windy 5-hour bus ride through the mountains of Spain. And I was staring out the window looking at the dreary weather like this bored cat: 
(oops sorry I complained again. I swear that was the last one.)

Then we got to Santiago, and we got to see this. Here's a picture of the inside of the cathedral:


And it was incredible and unlike anything I've ever seen. People were having such meaningful and spiritual experiences encountering the cathedral and all of its beauty and history. I just kind of walked through the church like this: 

So even though it was miserably cold and rainy in Galicia, and even though we had to spend 
10 hours in 48 hours, I was incredibly grateful to have the experience. I also got to spend time with people who are becoming very good friends. I can't believe I am already halfway done with this trip. It's going by so incredibly fast.

Tomorrow, I will be blogging about the general discoteca experience only using Dance Mom gifs. Prepare yourselfs appropriately

Adios for now, amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment